In 1849, the first jail built in Noble County was constructed of logs.
It was from this first jail that the notorious blackleg William D Hill and John Wilson escaped in March of 1859.
The second jail, pictured to the right, was built in 1876 at a cost of $25,002.00 by George Harvey of Albion and was wired for electricity in 1908. This jail is on Indiana’s Historical Registry, and is open to the public with scheduled hours.
In November of 1967, the third jail was opened on the east side of Albion. This facility was 13,000 square feet, constructed at a cost of $386,000.00 and held 22 inmates. Two small additions were later added for an additional 18 inmates and a dispatch room.
In 1999, the construction of the current 73, 187 square foot jail was completed at a cost of approximately 8.4 million dollars. The construction process consisted of removing part of the existing (1967) jail area, remodeling other portions, and the construction of the new jail complex which now houses up to 263 inmates.