Sheriff Harp was elected Sheriff of Noble County November 2, 2010, and took office for his four-year term January 1, 2010.
Sheriff Douglas A. Harp served as the chief deputy for the Noble County Sheriff’s Department for the last several years, under former Sheriff Douglas Dukes and Sheriff Gary Leatherman.
He began his law enforcement career in 1989. During his law enforcement career he has worked undercover narcotics, served on the former Noble County Dive Team, and has been the team commander for the Noble County Special Operations Group (SWAT) since 2003. Prior to his law enforcement career he worked as a child welfare caseworker and as a counselor with the Indiana Department of Corrections.
In 1999 Sheriff Harp was the recipient of the Exceptional Service Award for the handling of a police action shooting in Noble County.
Sheriff Douglas A. Harp is a certified PPCT Physical Tactics Instructor, a certified Primary Instructor with the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy, holds a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and studies a variety of other marital arts.
Harp has conducted hundreds of drug awareness programs throughout northern Indiana, the Indianapolis area, Michigan, and Georgia.
Sheriff Harp has been asked to testify on two occasions before the United States Congress, House of Representatives, and Subcommittee on Criminal Justice, Drug Policy and Human Resources. His testimony focused on the growing methamphetamine problem in northern Indiana.
Sheriff Douglas A. Harp holds an Associate of Arts degree, a Bachelor of Science degree and has taken numerous graduate level courses. He is a 1989 graduate of the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy, a graduate of the Southern Police Institute / Police Management Program, and has received hundreds of hours of training on a variety of other police related courses.
Sheriff Harp resides near Kendallville Indiana with his wife of 30 years and their two children.
Sheriff Harp’s Accomplishments and Experience
- Married to wife Renee for 30 years
- 2 Children, Andrew and Abby
- A long time Noble County resident
Law Enforcement Career
- 1995 to present Noble County Sheriffs Department
- 1991 to 1995 Kendallville Police Department
- 1989 to 1991 Avilla Town Marshal
- Total of five years working with the Indiana Department of Correction as both a confinement officer and counselor
Law Enforcement Assignments
- Served as the Chief Deputy of the Noble County Sheriffs Department from 1999 to 2011
- Undercover narcotics officer for 3 years
- Road Deputy
- Member of the former Noble County Dive Team
- Commander of the Noble County Special Operations Group (SWAT) from 2003 to present
- Physical Tactics Instructor
- Graduate level courses (Ball State University)
- Bachelor of Science (Dakota State University)
- Associate of Arts (Glen Oaks Community College)
- Graduate Southern Police Institute for Police Management & Jail Operations
- Graduate Indiana Law Enforcement Academy
Associations and Committees
- President Noble County Law Enforcement Association
- Vice President Land O Lakes Fraternal Order of Police
- Executive Board Member Drug Free Noble County
- Chairman Drug Free Noble County Justice Committee
- Treasury Northeast Indiana Law Enforcement Training Counsel
- Member National Sheriff Association
- Member Indiana Sheriffs Association
- Member National Tactical Operators Association
- Member Indiana Tactical Operators Association
- Member International Law Enforcement Educators Training Association